Welcome to Spring Semester

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Kourtney has concerns about struggling student


        One day during my observations, my cooperating teacher gave me a student to work with one-to-one.     We were working on reducing fractions to simplest form because she did very poorly on her homework and quizzes. It was apparent that she did not know her multiplication facts, even the easy ones like 2s and 3s and 5s. That was clearly hindering her ability to find common factors. As we worked on it more, I realized she did not know what an even number was. It was as if she never even heard the term. I was astonished. How could a third grader not be able to identify what an even number was? It took her a few times working solely with even numbers to realize that no matter what the number was, if it ended in an even number, it could be reduced by 2. We had to go over this concept again and again. Finally,  after about half an hour,  she started to understand the concept of an even number. I could not figure out if this is a child that has just quietly slipped through the cracks or if she needs some sort of extra help. It took her a very long time to understand a fairly simple concept, and something that she should have learned in first grade.
 
        What are your opinions about this? Have you worked individually with students that really seem to be struggling? What are your suggestions? What would you say to your cooperating teacher?

5 comments:

  1. Hi Kourtney, When I observed a third grade class there was a student like this. They ended up needing basic skills instruction. I would use those math running records assesments to see what skills the student may need the additional help in, from easycbm.com.
    I would express the concerns to the cooperating teacher. Perhaps the student needs some sort of sensory visual aids. For example, groups of marbles that can represent the numbers. Meghan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kourtney,
    When I was observing my second grade class, I've came across some students who needed that extra help. My cooperating teacher was aware of this and tried her hardest to offer that child the extra help. Also, she did notify the parents, so they are aware also and to practice with the students at home with basic skills. I noticed that when students are able to use more "hands-on" activity, they seem to grasp the concept better. I would use lots of pictures, models, and objects to help the student in a certain area they're struggling in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kourtney

    I also have a student in my classroom who is struggling, the teacher knows he has been struggling and spoke to his parents. His parents are not very helpful from home, being that they just had another baby so if their oldest child does not want to get work done they tell him he does not have to. Teacher got him tested and realized he was on a 3 year old level, she uses a lot of words of encouragement and has him work one on one with the aid or myself.

    I think the one on one does work, and having the use of manipulative and more hands on activities helps the student with their struggles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kourtney,I have had my share of experiences working with students who are falling behind like this child is. However, my teacher knows which of these students are the ones who need more one on one attention. Does your cooperating teacher know how far behind she is? Are the parents involved as well? What are here grades like? One activity that I do with my students when there isn't enough time to do one on one is the "ticket alert". Students are given tickets for every time the participate in answering a question, ask questions, become involved and when the ask their classmates for help. At the end of the week the student who has 30 tickets can purchase something from the items I bring in. In doing this the students, even the quiet ones at least want to try so I can take down notes on who I need to work one on one with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kourtney,

    I agree with the others that the one on one work is helpful to struggling students and they need that extra time. I believe that the teacher should try to help the student in way they can by tutoring, giving extra time or whatever else helps that certain student. I also believe that the teacher should try to get the student classified if that is what the child needs to be on the correct level.

    ReplyDelete