Welcome to Spring Semester

Monday, March 18, 2013

Kourtney is concerned about student comprehension


This semester I am observing in a third grade class and, as with most every school, once a week these students prepare for the NJASK.  Many times they do readings and those readings are followed by questions that refer to the story, essay, narrative or poem that they have just read.   These booklets are collected and usually the teacher gives them to me to grade. I have noticed that many students are careless in their work.    They do not read directions.    They often just completely miss the point of the excerpt they have just read.  They do not seem to be able to answer the comprehension questions correctly, especially went they are asked to respond to open-ended questions. I never see the teacher give reading instruction in any of the areas in which the students seriously need help. The comprehension problem continues to exist.  

 Do you have any ideas of ways I could kindly suggest something about this problem to the teacher? Should I share with her what I observe about the work that I am correcting?   What are your thoughts about this problem?   Is it that students cannot understand what they are reading?   Do any of you see the students in your classes exhibiting the same comprehension problem?    Thanks!

 

 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Kourtney,
    I would talk to your cooperating teacher about this. I think she would appreciate you telling her your observations. Some strategies you could show her and the class are visuals like the Somebody Wanted But So reading chart http://wvde.state.wv.us/strategybank/Somebody-Wanted-But-So.html

    My specialized reading professor always encouraged us to use the Teacher's College Columbia running records to for assessments. This had been a problem in a third grade, as well as a middle school class that I had observed last semester. Also, my professor showed us how bookmarks can be made to track reading comprehension. Meghan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kourtney
    It seems that the children are being bored with the material, knowing that they are preparing for a test. If this is the routine everyday that they are doing there is nothing for them to get excited and engaged about. The teacher has to notice what it going on once she starts reviewing the questions after the reading. I think she should try a different approach on the comprehension. If students are not engaged they will lose focus.

    Jaquel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kourtney
    I would definitely speak to your cooperating teacher about this. It will only become an issue when the students are actually taking the test and have no sense of comprehension. It seems that comprehension is the students weakest point, so the teacher should focus more on that section. During my observation, I did noticed,comprehension was the weakest point throughout the second grade level when they took their unit assessment based on the common core standards. Teachers have to warn students to read the directions carefully. I noticed by the students making an graphic organizer in class was helpful, but this can become a problem when the students are being timed. This is practice for them so it will become easier when they take the test, so the teacher should immediately take a different approach for the students to comprehend the story better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kourtney,
    I definitely think you should mention something to your cooperating teacher. Maybe as you grade papers, write at the top the specific issue that's happening with the students work. Then after you're done maybe pull the teacher aside and let her know who got what wrong. This way maybe she can implement a strategy in the classroom or further tell her students to read directions and follow them. In my class I'm observing I usually write at the top of papers I grade if a student forgot to do something. Then I'll tell the teacher, and she'll usually pull the student aside and have them finish or redo the problems. Hope this helps!
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete