Welcome to Spring Semester

Monday, February 25, 2013

Nicole and Struggling Student


           While observing recently, my attention was drawn to a student who was clearly struggling with her assignments. She has a very hard time reading, and often requires one-on-one instruction, or alternate assignments. She is not classified as a special education student, nor does she have a 504 classification. When I asked my cooperating teacher about this particular student and inquired as to why she does not have an aide, the teacher told me that she had been trying for months to get extra help and extra resources for this student.  My cooperating teacher stated that she has been to countless child study team (CST) meetings.   In addition, there have been numerous phone calls and e-mails back and forth with the student’s parents. It was  my cooperating teacher’s understanding that the parents felt as though their child was completely fine and that she was “keeping up with the rest of the class.”  In fact, the parents had problems with the idea of having the teacher give the student an alternate homework assignment, even though it was clear she could not work on the same assignments as the rest of the class.

I can understand why  parents would want their child to feel as though he/she were at the same level as the rest of the students, but why wouldn’t they also want to try and help their child as much as they can?   Parents have the right and the opportunity to fight for their child so that a child who is struggling can get extra help and extra resources in class. Apparently these parents are choosing to fight with the teacher and the school instead.

My question to everyone is this, what do you think the teacher can do to get the parents on her side? All the teacher wants is for the student to be able to get the necessary extra help in order to do well in class, to really learn and to gain confidence.   My cooperating teacher feels as if she always has to defend herself and her teaching style.    Over the past year as you have been observing, have you noted a problem similar to this one?   That is, have you experienced parents who are reluctant to have their child classified?  Parents who are reluctant to give their child extra help?    What did your cooperating teacher do in that particular situation?  How did the CST handle these  parents?   And finally, how would you handle these parents?   

5 comments:

  1. Hi Nicole,
    It sounds to me like you said, the parents are fearing the label that could come with becoming classified. I have seen this before as well. I would do as many kinds of assessments and observational notes as possible. For example, show the parents the results of assessments such as running records, this would show a struggle. Perhaps have surveys completed by other teachers that work with the student, and perhaps have the student complete a survey or question air, see how they feel about their own progress.I would explain and stress to the parents that the extra help, other resources are there to help the child reach their highest potential, and so that the student will be successful. If you did give an alternative assignment, perhaps explain that for many students, it could be individualized, not just for the one child. For example, the " perfect ten" format of a worksheet. I would get as much support from the CST as possible as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nicole,
    It seems to me that the parents are in denial. They are not aware of the student's progress in class. I had a very familiar class when I was observing a first grade class. This one particular student would not complete any of his work in class and it appeared to be that the parent was doing the homework for the student because she didn't want to accept the fact that there was a problem. The student began to fail and the teacher was very concerned. Finally, the school was able to get the parent to attend class once a week to see how the child was behaving. In fact, after several visits the parent became very concern with her child. The student did get tested and was classified. In your case, I feel the parent should be able to attend class to see how their child is doing and as to why he/she is getting alternative assignments. Once they see it with their own eyes that their child is struggling, hopefully they will take it into consideration and continue with the next step by getting the child tested. This will only help the child out in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nicole,

    This situation is very hard to address, because the teacher is doing her part and actually not trying not to give up on the child. There only so much a teacher can do for the student especially with parents who feel there is not need for the extra help. I am also dealing with a similar situation right now and have been asking a lot of people for advice on a student who I am tutoring and is struggling in the second grade. My student is on a kindergarten level and struggles with comprehension and math, her teachers have been trying to tell her parents she needs to be tested and has many evidence in her struggle, the parents refused. the child was going to get retained but they fought for her not to. As I tutor my student I see her struggles and I wish I can do more for her, but the only thing I can do is help her and not give up. I have worked backwards with her and started from Kindergarten work and move up. Every day I give her challenge questions, which are her grade level; at times she will get part of them and sometimes nothing at all.

    I think its all about patience and engaging the student not to give up, never singling them out of the same task as the class.

    Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nicole,

    I agree with what everyone has stated above and I also think that the parents are afraid of the label and making their child feel as if they aren't like the rest of the students. I think that your cooperating teacher shouldn't give and should keep trying to make the parents see that their child needs the extra help. I also think that during school the teacher should continue to give the child the different assignments because she is actually helping the student. Last spring my cooperating teacher had the same problems and constantly sent home the assessments as well as regular in class assignments to show the parents that the student did need extra help. I also think that maybe the parents should ask their child how they feel about the work they are given. A child also knows if the work they are given is too hard. The teacher and the school should keep working together to have the parents understand and realize that their child needs the extra help.

    Marina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nicole,
    Is problem is something I have seen at least once a semester observing. It definitely comes from the stigma of classifying a child as special needs. I would try as much as possible to keep records and after a month of proof, ask the parents to come in for a meeting. I would express to the parents that your only concern is that the child does not get lost in the work and that there are people and resources that can and are willing to help. I would have e CST come into the classroom and have them observe the student and see if they can provide some ways to help the child in the classroom for the meantime. This situation is very upsetting especially since all we want for the students is for them to succeed.

    ReplyDelete